Accounting Manager to $100K
Essential Search is engaged in a search for an Accounting Manager to help lead a $100m accounting department of a growing non-profit in Northern Virginia. This quality organization has created this position due to growth. The Accounting Manager will report to the Controller and work closely with them to establish world-class Accounting Department.
Our client offers a rewarding employee experience: innovative culture, professional growth potential, competitive compensation and an exceptional benefits package, including a defined contribution pension plan, 403(b); generous paid time off package; insurance plans with the leading providers; flexible spending; tuition reimbursement; training opportunities; and wellness reimbursement.
- Oversee daily accounting operations
- Manage the monthly close process ensuring accurate and timely results
- Ensure account reconciliations are timely, properly prepared, reviewed and all variances are resolved
- Manage state and local tax reporting/filings, including sales/use tax, escheat tax, personal and real property tax
- Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines
- Manage the timely preparation of schedules and requests for external audits
- Participate in the evaluation and implementation of new technical accounting standards, pronouncements and guidance in accordance with GAAP
- Develop and maintain accounting policies and procedures to facilitate a strong internal control environment
- Develop/implement best practices/standardizations to create effective, efficient and accurate accounting operations
- Provide support/education to the programmatic areas regarding accounting terminology and procedures: revenue recognition, expense accruals, prepaids, etc.
- Participate/lead special projects on an as-needed basis
- Evaluate staff performance to maximize productivity and ensure skills appropriately fit responsibilities and ensure staff cross training
- Coach and mentor direct reports - develop appropriate training opportunities
- Foster a customer service culture in the Finance & Accounting department based on collaboration, continuous learning and improvement
Leadership - Strive to be the best by embracing the qualities of personal leadership: courage, competence, confidence and a passion for surpassing expectations. Proven ability to initiate change and drive results. Positive attitude and professional demeanor.
Integrity – Establish credibility by driving all process, decisions and actions with integrity. Comply with governing regulations in our business. Always doing the right thing. Accepts full responsibility for performance.
Quality – Strive for excellence in all aspects. Accurate; detail oriented; strong organizational skills. Excellent oral and written communication.
Innovation – Constantly seek innovative ways to enhance performance and provide value; leverages new technologies to increase productivity and quality control; keeps technical skills up to date.
- BS/BA in Accounting; CPA required
- Minimum of 7 years of progressive accounting experience including supervising accounting staff
- 501(c)(3) and (c)(6) Non-profit organization experience, a plus but not required
- Demonstrated knowledge of U.S. GAAP and non-profit accounting standards
- Aptitude for systems including advanced Excel skills (pivots, nested formulas, etc.)
- Experience with: Dynamics GP, Concur, and Host Analytics preferred
Accounting Manager - Reston
CPA, staff leadership, 501c3