Essential Search Partners is engaged in a search for an Assistant Controller with a global, best in class, DC based law firm. This newly created position is for an experienced professional services leader who excels and managing staff (3 direct reports) in a growing, fast paced environment.
The Assistant Controller works closely with the Controller in the hiring, development, and training of accounting staff and has frequent contact with staff, management, attorneys, and vendors.
- Successful candidates must have a Bachelors degree in Accounting or equivalent years of experience, CPA or CPA candidate preferred, and six to seven years of experience in either public accounting and/or in private industry, preferably within a law firm or other professional services firm.
- Exposure to partnership taxation issues is a plus. Familiarity with cash and accrual accounting using Elite (or other law firm accounting software) in a multi-currency, multi-company environment, ability to supervise, mentor, train and evaluate, expert command of general ledger and transactional accounting functions is required.
- Strong analytical and decision making skills, excellent customer service and team building skills; strong written and oral communications skills, excellent computer skills including advanced Excel, Business Intelligence, FRx, Sage FAS Fixed Assets, DF Tech, and Adobe Acrobat or similar accounting and related reporting software is required. Elite Enterprise is also a plus.
- Strong communicator and leadership qualities required.
- Supervision/preparation of monthly financial statements and bank covenant compliance package and supervision of cash receipts and trust accounting processes.
- Reviewing accounting computations, schedules and associated journal entries to ensure uniform application of policies, procedures and acceptable accounting standards; managing and maintaining the firm's general ledger accounts; assisting with month end close process.
- Analysis of budget variances and unusual account activity; preparation of annual operating and capital budgets.
- Working closely with external financial consultants in the preparation and filing of the firm'ss annual audit; supporting Tax Manager by reviewing or preparing reports and analysis for accurate tax accounting and return preparation; documenting processes and internal controls.
- Managing accounting staff and other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Supervisor: 5 years (Required)
- Accounting: 5 years (Required)
- Education: Bachelor's degree in Accounting (Required)
- Certifications: CPA preferred, MBA a plus
***For immediate consideration please email me your MS Word version of your resume. All hires will undergo a thorough background check including employment verification and references.
Assistant Controller, Washington, DC
CPA, Staff leadership, financial reporting
$125-150K + Bonus